Technology - innovative thickness measurement
- Innovative laser line - non-contact thickness measurement with up to 1280 discrete measuring points
- Measuring with lateral micrometer resolution to the edges of narrow strips combined with a large measuring range
- Highly dynamic measurement - 128,000 measuring points/sec provide high precision even for structured material such as button plate and checker plate
- Recognition and compensation of strip tilting - particularly suitable for longitudinal slitting shears
- No alloy compensation required - real geometric, material-independent thickness measurement
- Cost-effective service-lifecycle-management - innovative measurements without isotopes or X-rays and thus low consequential costs
Thickness measurement system as a C-frame with point laser
The MTS 8202.T is equipped with laser triangulation sensors that ensure material-independent measurements. During the production process, the laser beams of both sensors are optimally adjusted using a specially developed optoelectronic tool that offers the highest precision. Due to its high measuring rate, the system is ideal for monitoring highly dynamic processes. Automatic inline calibration ensures that measurements are not influenced by temperature.
- Linearity from ± 4µm
- Measuring ranges up to 20mm
- Immersion depth 50mm to 1000mm
- Special sizes on request
- Measuring rate up to 10kHz
"Discrete laser line" innovation
By using special lenses, a laser beam is enlarged to form a static laser line and is projected onto the target surface. A high quality optical system projects the diffusely reflected light of this laser line onto a highly sensitive sensor matrix which detects during one measurement, depending on the sensor, a profile with 640 or 1280 measuring points. From this matrix image, the integrated controller calculates the distance information (z-axis) and the position alongside the laser line (x-axis) in a two-dimensional coordinate system.
The system is equipped with in-situ calibration in order to compensate e.g. for the effects of temperature fluctuations. Depending on the respective application, with this calibration either the reference/calibration piece or the C-frame can be positioned. Furthermore, the correct functioning of the system can be cyclically proven at any time. The analysis software enables easy, fast verification of the measurement system’s capability, which can be automated depending on the application.
Thickness measurement system as an O-frame with laser line sensors
The MTS 8201.LLT is equipped with laser triangulation scanners which means measurements are unaffected by the surface properties of the target material. Scaling or mirror effects of the metal surface are therefore absorbed. Furthermore, compared to point sensors, the system offers higher accuracy and a larger mouth width. The O-frame shaped mechanical system provides a temperature-compensated frame that compensates for any thermal changes of the measurement frame using additional sensor technology. The measurement line is arranged vertically to the material flow, enabling the system to cope with any lateral strip tilting.
- Linearity of ±5 µm with measuring range of 40mm
- Mouth width 300mm
- Measuring rate up to 2kHz
Thickness measurement systems as a O-frame with laser line sensors
thicknessCONTROL MTS 9201.LLT is specifically designed for harshest environments such as aluminium hot rolling mill applications. These systems stand out due to their solid steel frame. The optical sensors are water-cooled in order to ensure a longer service life. The integrated, electronic components remain in the specified temperature range, as the frame is purged with cold air. Another special feature is the patented, fully automatic monitoring of the linearity in the ‘parked’ position using a certified calibration standard. In this way, not only are thermal effects on the mechanics of the measuring frame monitored but also the factors affecting the sensor electronics, which are corrected automatically using a patented linearisation process.
- Optionally expandable with vertical linear axis for measuring range extension
- Measuring rate up to 2kHz